Wednesday, March 25, 2009

uninspired

Well, hello there, if there are any readers left. I don't know what it is, but my motivation to post has just completely dried up. Or maybe it's been subsumed by too many other things on my plate right now. Nah, I could always find the time before, so somehow it's a lack of motivation.

Both Niobe and Antigone told their readers they were going away. But neither has, though postings have slowed a bit. There is something about the new baby/adjusting to new schedules thing that gives you a bit of a pass, but I don't know why others have stuck with blogging and I've lost interest. I had actually built up a good readership, and since I think in numbers and progress, there was something very satisfying watching my stats creep up. And now of course they've bottomed out. I wonder if watching the stats (a newish pursuit) made this less about the writing? Or if I've just gotten bored with the introspection? Or, just busier with higher priorities? It may be as simple as that.

The new job is going well, but I'm out and about in meetings, so it may just be that lack of sitting in front of the computer time leaves little blogging time.

I don't know. What keeps you motivated? How do you find the discipline to post regularly?

5 comments:

niobe said...

I seem to have trouble not blogging. As in, it makes me feel guilty. But that's really not a good reason to blog.

Anonymous said...

I've kept a diary since I was 14. It's kind of compulsive. Blogging has sort of taken that over. I always have this "itching" in my brain to get things out, on paper (or on the 'Net, as it were).

I used to have tons of readers at my old blog, like between 300 and 400 hits a day, back when I was going through some crazy times... today my life has calmed down and I get maybe 40 hits to my page per day. MAYBE one or two comments per post, if any at all. When I think about it, it bugs me a little, but I know that even if no one at all was reading, I'd still be writing, because ultimately I write for me (cheesy I know).

So, to make this novel even longer, and to finally answer your question, I guess for me, it's not discipline, it's more a need I have to get things out.

Pancy Fants said...

I'm actually a new reader of yours, I don't remember how I found you, but here I am. I'm also a neophyte blogger; I'm trying to be disciplined, even in my busiest of times (actually, especially during my most busy times), it's cheaper than therapy. :) Keep it up, the alternative charges hourly.

Unknown said...

I found you through Antigone and read your blog from beginning to end a few months ago. Right before you delivered your son. Your blog was so honest and I really respected you for sorting through your feelings like you did here. I check here everyday for an update and knew you were probably caught up with your new job.
I started a blog partly because of your honesty here. I have not updated for several weeks, mostly because I found a new job.
I hope to start again soon. My feeling is that you should stay true to the reasons why you started this space, it originally was for you. To help you. Use it as needed, but know there are many of us that are following you and hoping for the best for you.

Astarte said...

I keep up because I've built up a relationship with several people who read my blog, so I feel like I'm talking to friends. Otherwise, i would probably have fallen off, too.