Tuesday, October 6, 2009

spoilers

So, if your 10 month old isn't sleeping, and you're totally exhausted, you might just fall asleep with your 4 year old and miss an entire night of TV. Which is probably a good thing, and what happened to me last Thursday night. But, we have a DVR, and I work from home and pump breastmilk twice during the day, so I have little windows to watch TV. I watched the first ten minutes of the season premiere of Private Practice. Judging Amy was discovered minutes after the baby had been removed, was rushed to the hospital, and her friends worked frantically to save her. Cause, you know, far better for doctors from private clinics to do surgery on a friend than actual hospital surgeons.

It suddenly occurred to me they were probably going to have to do a hysterectomy, and I already feared the baby was going to die. So when I went back to work, I looked online at Television without pity and read the entire episode recap. And that made it safe to actually watch the episode, because it all ended relatively happily with baby recovered (and recovering from operation from bad c-section that damaged spleen), uterus safe, and Judging Amy recovering. And of course Addison me me me got to work in several times how she was the best damn neonatal surgeon blah blah blah.

However, promos for next week show that Judging Amy is not adjusting well to motherhood. Someone tells her, you haven't left the house in weeks! Well, guess what. Another facet of motherhood the show isn't going to do well. No new mother, and especially not an older, single mother, not to mention one who has been brutally victimized, is going to have an easy time of it. I myself did not leave the house, or shower, or do anything but recover from my c-section and breastfeeding struggles and new baby daze. I distinctly remember my first real get out of the house and go someplace at 4 weeks (I was out walking around to the store and local errands, but not much more than that).

I'm reading a book about getting fit that says step one is get rid of the TV. So I think of Niobe saying she doesn't have time for TV. I don't have time to work out, but I do have time for TV. And I thought about Jo commenting that at least there is a show that has some level of awareness around fertility issues. That's true, I guess I jsut want more. So I'll keep watching. Plus, the promo blurb for the show in two weeks says Addison's affair with Noah catches up to her. Then I'll be more enraged (seriuosly, these days I'm too tired).

There are times with movies I actively try not to know what is going to happen. Saw The Sixth Sense, for example, and had the real pleasure of a shock at the ending. But usually, I like to know. I like to know what is going to happen. I kill time online reading entertainment spoilers. I read movie reviews in the actual paper, no less. But I never, ever skip ahead in books.

What about you? Do you like to know spoilers? In some entertainment, or in all?

5 comments:

CLC said...

I like to know too. Sometimes, not always, I read the end of the book before the middle, just so I know. Then I get annoyed with myself for doing that. I am impatient like that.

I meant to comment a few posts ago, but I have given up watching anything with babies on dramatic tv shows. I resent, as a dbm, being portrayed as a crazy person. It's one thing for me to call myself crazy, but quite another when we all get lumped as lunatics. I also don't like how everything is usually tied up nice and neat by the end. I know that's what people want, but it just warps their minds thinking we should all get over this one day. So I avoid, avoid, avoid. I dvr the of.fice, it's.always.sun.ny.in.phil.a.delphia, and gos.sip girl. Perhaps my taste is questionable, but they are all so ridiculous, there's little chance they will have anything about d. babies on these shows!

Jo said...

I used to skip ahead in books all the time. So impatient, always flipping to see how everything ended. I'm better about it now -- I will wait, patiently, to see how it all works out. I wish I had as much patience to see how my own story ends. . . .

Wabi said...

I looove spoilers way more than suspense. Also, I chew my lollipops. (Somehow the two seem related?)

christina(apronstrings) said...

Sorry I haven't been around lately. I've been swamped with work, pregnancy and a cheating husband. : )

I only watch reality t.v., crime shows and The Today Show-and no movies. But, I don't think I would like a spoiler. I would NEVER read the last chapter of a book.

I too don't like how they always show professional women failing at being mothers. Blech.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!