Thursday, August 28, 2008

Whip It Up - Week 8! - Frozen Boston Cream Pie

Well! This is it, the final week of Whip It Up. 8 new recipes, a few hits, one total WTF miss, a few what did I do wrong experiences, a few future adjustments. All in all it was a good structure to get me out of the usual boxes. But, I'm still glad it's over!

I'm going to admit I'm cheating a little - the theme this week is dessert, and last week was my birthday, and we made a fun, different kind of cake (ok, actually my much maligned (mostly deservedly so) husband made the entire thing), so that'll be my final recipe. It even uses box cake mix, but again, who cares. Use your favorite pound cake recipe instead if you've got the time and energy and don't have 25 people, 6 of whom are under 5 years old, arriving at your house in a couple of hours.

It's from Woman's Day, the August 1 issue this year. Annoyingly, it's not on the website, so no professional picture, which really helps sell it.

Frozen Boston Cream Pie
1 box pound cake mix (16 oz)
3 cups firmly packed light vanilla ice cream
3/4 heavy cream
4 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate
2 oz chopped semisweet chocolate

Prepare cake mix as box directs. Transfer batter to 2 9-inch round cake pans; bake 25 to 30 minutes until wooden pick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
Unmold from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
Transfer ice cream to a ziptop freezer bag; freeze until ready to assemble cakes
To assemble: Place one cake layer on serving plate. Rub bag of ice cream between your hands to warm slightly (makes piping easier). Snip off one corner of ziptop bag; pipe ice cream onto cake. Using back of a spoon, spread ice cream evenly. Top with other cake layer and freeze for 1 hour, or wrap and freeze overnight.
To serve: Heat heavy cream in saucepan over medium-high heat just to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in chocolates. Keep stirring until well combined and melted. Pour chocolate sauce onto the center of the cake and gently spread it out to edge. Place in freezer to set chocolate, about 30 minutes.

Per serving (makes 12): 348 cal, 5 g protein, 47 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 17 g fat

Was the recipe easy to follow?
Yes - we were having a party, in a frenzy if setting up and cleaning, and box mixes are easy. What can I say. Am slightly embarrassed by my reliance on packaged goods. Also, two types of chocolate? Please. Use half a bag of Nestle morsels and it'll be good. We used leftover dark chocolate eggs from Easter. Not kidding.

Did it taste good?
The fact is, anything covered in chocolate ganache is good. There's just nothing that isn't improved by a little chocolate and cream. Plus pound cake, plus ice cream, plus a little chocolate ice cream on the side? This is one delicious birthday cake. And it looks so cool - very much like Boston Cream Pie, but is delicious ice cream cake......

Kid friendly?
Are you kidding? Ice cream cake? Heck, yeah.

Would I make it again?
Yum. Perhaps for my daughter's birthday next month, then my husband's the month after, then the holidays.........

Thanks for reading. I know this has been a little outside my usual boxes, but it's been fun. I sort of had this fantasy of taking detailed step by step photos of each recipe, in the detailed, amazing way of Bean Paste, but that quickly fell by the wayside. HOLY MOLY - check out the dalmation cake SHE just made. Jeez, I need THAT recipe. I think I am salivating.

1 comment:

Tash said...

I so didn't need to see this . . .